CPFSA…..Protecting Children, Empowering Families, Securing the Future.
The Child Protection and Family Services Agency (CPFSA), formed out of a merger of the Child Development Agency and the Office of Children’s Registry, is a leader in Jamaica’s child protection system, with a combined legacy reputation for our work in promoting child-friendly policies and ground-breaking programmes to strengthen families. The CPFSA is under the purview of the Ministry of Education, Youth and Information and works collaboratively with the OCA, the JCF, and other government agencies..
In carrying out its mandate, the agency:
- Provides intake, receives reports, and manages the Child Abuse Registry
- Investigates reports of child abuse, abandonment and neglect to determine the best interest of the child which supports the Courts and the Police;
- Provides support to children in need of care and protection (those who have been, abused, abandoned, neglected or vulnerable due to disability);
- Carries out advocacy/public education programmes to prevent child abuse;
- Provides quality care for children who are brought into the care of the State (those who live in children’s homes and places of safety).
- Provides support for famiiires
- Advises government on policy and legal issues relating to children.
The agency’s staff members are spread across our corporate office located in Kingston, regional offices and 14 parish offices as well as child care facilities. Our team of social workers, investigators, intake officers, and others M maintain an active schedule in serving children and families as part of the effort to restore the fabric of the Jamaican family and empower children to achieve their highest potential.